Wednesday 14 October 2009

Swiftlets in the Bird House

Visited the bird house this morning with my friend Mr. Chong. We were standing outside the bird house looking at the swiftlets flying above the roof.

The swiftlets turning in circle, sometime fly far away and sometime very near. My friend said that the birds have gone into the bird house. I was not very sure because I have not seen a single swiftlets inside the bird house for the past 9 months.

We then proceed to go into the bird house. Once the door to the nesting area was open, I saw swiftlets in side the nesting area. My friend said that we could turn on the lights. Once the lights was on, I saw about 6 swiftlets flying in circle inside the nesting area. We did not check further as we quickly turn off the lights and left the bird house.

I ask my friend are we allowed to turn on the lights, he said it is ok. He usually turn on the lights to harvest the bird nest.

My friend only take 2 weeks to get the swiftlets into the bird house while I waited for 9 months without any result. If I have engaged him earlier, I could be harvesting bird nest by now. This shows that experience consultant is very important. Many swiftlets farmers called themselves consultant. They just duplicate a successful bird house and if they are lucky, the bird house is successful. When it is not they do not have experience to solve the problem.

My friend said that the swiftlets will begin to build nest very soon. So the next visit is about 2 months from now.

1 comment:

Tweeter said...

Hi,
I just found your blog and read them all with much interests. Thank you for writing all about your experiences so that other newbies can learnt from.
I hope you will update your blog soon.
Wish your bird house full of birds and bird nests too.
Tweeter